Highway 30 Road Construction
On August 30th, the Department of Roads will begin work on HWY 30 between Shelton and Gibbon. The work will start at Shelton and move towards Gibbon. Additional signage will be seen around Gibbon stating detour routes and roadwork information. Please be patient during the time of the roadwork as it may cause delays. Also, bridge work on the Gibbon Viaduct will begin around September 18th.
Fire Hall/City Hall/Community Center Project
Thank you, Gibbon! The fire hall/city hall/community center project was approved by voters at the general election held on November 3, 2020. A half-percent increase in the sales tax rate was also approved to help fund the project. The sales tax increase went into effect on April 1, 2021.
Below is a timeline of events for the design-build timeline for fire hall/city hall/community center:
- February 4, 2021 – Requested Notice of Letters of Interest from potential contractors
- March 18, 2021 – Sent Request For Proposals (RFP) to interested contractors
- March 25, 2021 – Held site visit at current fire hall with interested contractors
- May 10, 2021 – Received presentations and selected potential contractors
- June 17, 2021 – Interviewed and evaluated potential contractors
- June 21, 2021 – Selected BD/Wilkens team as top design-build contractor
- July 20, 2021 –Hosted design layout meeting with BD/Wilkens
- July 28, 2021 – Began negotiations and reviewed design schematics
- August 17 & 27, 2021 – Continued negotiations and reviewed design schematics
- September – Continuing negotiations between the City and the selected design-build project team; Finalizing the design schematics, schedule and cost of the Project
- October -Preparing for the construction and renovation; removal of the house east of the existing Fire Hall to allow for expansion
- November – Ordering materials by the project team
- April, 2022 – expecting construction preparations on-site to begin
Summer Yard Information
The City’s yard waste collection area remains open to Gibbon residents Monday through Saturday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Residents can drop off leaves, grass clippings, garden waste, branches, and small limbs. For access to the area after regular hours 24/7 a resident can purchase a gate card for $25.00 at City Hall.
The garbage company will not dump any garbage dumpsters that contain yard waste. Is it unlawful to dump yard waste and tree limbs along county roads and may be subject to a fine.
Ordinance 94.77 disallows clippings in the street after mowing and property owners are responsible for mowing alleyways abutting their property. Ordinance 91.24 states that lawns must be kept 12 inches or less. For safety concerns and per ordinance 94.5, please keep sidewalks clear of debris, foliage, and tree branches.
Sidewalks that are along the homeowners /renters property line is to be taken care of by that individual. Weeds, grass and debris within the sidewalk area should also to be taken care of by that individual.